Thursday 15 December 2011

The Cornershop

11 Ballarat St
Yarraville  3013

03 9689 0052

Right across from the Sun Theatre, in amongst the hustle and bustle of Yarraville Village, you will find The Cornershop, a lovely little cafe that has made itself right at home nestled in between the quaint book and homewares shops of Ballarat st. An area that has slowly been gaining popularity since property prices started soaring here in Melbourne.

David Danks (of Public House, Guernica) and Iain Munro (of Cafe Le Chien) have definitely found a gap in the market here in this inner west oasis and have stamped their presence by delivering quality food made from quality produce. 

I had read a lot of reviews that warned about 'The Mummies' and their over sized prams taking over the place, but this didn't concern me so much as I'm usually one of them. I was ready to navigate my way through  the gathering of well dressed mums with their blonde babies and bugaboo strollers, but luckily we picked a good day and time to go, so we were able to just wonder in and sit right down. 

I did have a huge sense of déjà vu when I first stepped into this cafe. Light and airy, vintage furniture, cute tattooed wait staff and the obligatory uber cool barista. It was a site that I had seen many times this year alone, but the things that do set this cafe apart from the newbies setting up here and there and everywhere, are the menu and the pricing. They have incorporated some strong Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Hispanic and Indian flavours into their exciting breakfast menu, and have managed to do it without charging you an arm and a leg. So it's no wonder that people are queueing up here to have something other than dry toast, gooey beans and badly poached eggs.

Breakfast Menu
Baked Eggs w/ Eggplant, Kasundi Relish and Feta   $12
Spanish Braised Beans w/Smoked Paprika on Sourdough   $11
+ bacon and black pudding extra $3.50 each

Oh I was so happy when I saw my baked eggs come out and placed on the table in front of me, not only because I was super hungry, but also because that delicately baked egg looked so perfect and the tantalising smell that was being emitted from that terracotta casuela was making my mouth water. As soon as I took my first bite, I knew that we had chosen the perfect spot for breakfast on this bright sunny day. The lovely sweetness of the Kasundi relish worked so well along side the feta and the egg. My only complaint was the size, however that may only be because I was so hungry.
The beans with paprika may have been a wiser choice, considering my epic hunger on this particular day, as they were well cooked, substantial and packed full of flavour. As an addition my breakfast companion also ordered a side of some bacon and a nice big serve of soft black pudding,
I enjoyed my visit here to The Cornershop. The service was nice, and the seats were comfy which was good because the lovely and bright corner allotment of the cafe made for fantastic people watching possibilities. They also do lunch and dinner which I have as yet not tried, but I sneaked a peak at the menu and the choices are lovely and once again incredibly well priced, so we will definitely be back especially considering that there is a nice little outdoor seating area. I'll be the one enjoying my meal while my child screams and I pretend not to notice.

Ratings out of 10
Food 6.5/10

Service 6.5/10
Atmosphere 6.5/10
Value  8.5/10

The Cornershop  7/10
Would I return? Yes

The Cornershop on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Good joint, but can be a little erratic I find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read so many reviews that state the same thing. I may have gotten lucky as it was a relaxed day or the service has improved. I will be going back though so we'll see how we go.

    ReplyDelete